September 16, 1906
Herzl Congregation was founded by a group of progressive Orthodox Sephardic Jews. Just two years after his death, the synagogue was named for Theodore Herzl who is credited for the Zionist movement – urging Jews to establish their own homeland in the land of Israel.
Cornerstone was laid for a synagogue on 16th Avenue and East Fir.
September 22, 1911
The new building opens for High Holiday services. Herzl’s first rabbi, Rabbi Ludwig Brooks, had the honor of officiating. He served the congregation from 1895-1905.
Herzl Congregation moved into a larger permanent building on the corner of Spruce and 20th in Seattle’s Central District. This building served the congregation for more than 40 years.
Herzl Congregation voted to become a part of the Conservative movement.
Herzl officially becomes a Conservative synagogue.
Congregation Ner Tamid is established as a Conservative synagogue.
Congregation Ner Tamid purchases a building at 15655 Lake Hills Boulevard in Bellevue.
The decision was made for Herzl Congregation to be merged with Ner Tamid Congregation. The merger officially happens in 1970.
June 7, 1970
Ground is broken for the new building, located on Mercer Island. This follows the trend of Seattle Jews moving out into the suburbs.
November 20, 1971
Patty Wilner becomes the first Bat Mitzvah at Herzl-Ner Tamid.
HNT celebrates its 100th birthday